Societal and Commercial Impact of CLARIAH
The CLARIAH-PLUS board assigns great importance to the use of CLARIAH not only by researchers but also outside of the research domain, so that it can have societal or commercial impact.
This is important for the optimal use of tax money, but it also contributes to the long-term sustainability of the CLARIAH infrastructure. In addition, it is one of the Key Performance Indicators (KPI) formulated by ESFRI to Landmark infrastructures such as CLARIN and DARIAH. The Netherlands wants to contribute, through CLARIAH, to good scores on this KPI.
CLARIAH therefore aims to take maximal advantage of its potential as a centre for innovation. CLARIAH can make agreements with commercial companies and societal partners for the use of the CLARIAH infrastructure. CLARIAH wants to point out to social partners that such opportunities are available and explore the potential with them.
The CLARIAH-PLUS board provides resources to stimulate activities that increase CLARIAH’s social and / or commercial impact. Any researcher within the Netherlands can apply for this. It concerns small exploratory projects that may conduct preliminary research to arrive at a larger externally funded project. Conditions for such projects or activities are:
- They promote the social and / or commercial impact of CLARIAH and thus address social and / or commercial themes or problems.
- They are consistent with themes and research questions from the humanities, and in particular with core themes and disciplines of CLARIAH-PLUS.
- The theme is in line with themes from the Top Sectors, the National Science Agenda, the Open Science movement, or sector plans of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
- There is co-financing from a social partner, for at least half of the budget, as in-kind or as in-cash.
- If a contribution from CLARIAH-PLUS is also required, the maximum contribution per application is € 10K.
- A researcher or research group active in CLARIAH-PLUS makes an active contribution to the project
The total budget in CLARIAH-PLUS for this policy is € 70K.
Call for Proposals
- The second call (2020) was open from June 16, 2020.
- The submission deadline was October 4, 2020.
- Three proposals were submitted, two of them were accepted: ASR4RESP and XXX.
- The first call (2019) was open from August 19, 2019.
- The submission deadline was October 1, 2019.
- Two proposals were submitted, one of which (SASTA) was accepted.