CALL FOR PAPERS: 6th CLARIN Annual Conference
CLARIN ERIC is happy to announce the 6th CLARIN Annual Conference and invites submission of papers.
The 6th CLARIN Annual Conference will be held in Budapest, Hungary.
IMPORTANT DATES (2017)
|1st February||First call published and submission system open|
|1st May||Submission deadline|
|24th June||Notification of acceptance|
|1st September||Final version of extended abstracts due|
|18th – 20th September||CLARIN Annual Conference|
The CLARIN Annual Conference is organised for the Humanities and Social Sciences community in order to exchange ideas and experiences on the CLARIN infrastructure. This includes its design, construction and operation, the data and services that it contains or should contain, its actual use by researchers, its relation to other infrastructures and projects, and the CLARIN Knowledge Sharing Infrastructure.
Operation and use of the CLARIN infrastructure, e.g.
- Use of the CLARIN infrastructure in humanities research, including needs for updated and new functionality
- Usability studies and evaluations of CLARIN services
- Analysis of the CLARIN infrastructure usage, identification of user audience and impact studies
- Showcases and demonstrators
- Models for the sustainability of the infrastructure, including issues in curation, migration, evolution, financing and cooperation
- Legal and ethical issues in operating the infrastructure
THEMATIC SESSION: Multilingual Processing for Humanities and Social Sciences
The Humanities and Social Sciences (H&SS) have formulated research questions pertaining to different languages. However, the number of research tasks in H&SS in which Language Technology has been applied to cross-language barriers and analyse the same phenomena on material expressed in different languages is relatively small. The situation is better in the case genuine linguistic research, but in multilingual research applications in H&SS are mostly based on a kind of ‘bag of words’ model, and very rarely utilise more advanced multilingual Language Technology methods.
The general aim of this thematic session is to present examples of multilingual approaches in H&SS research related to CLARIN, and to discuss infrastructural solutions to the problem of multilingual interoperability of the Language Technology that are necessary for more advanced research in H&SS. We expect to organise presentations and discussions during the session on the following aspects:
- Examples of applications of Language Technology to multilingual processing for the needs of research in H&SS.
- Research tasks and ongoing projects in H&SS on the basis of multilingual material and application of Language Technology.
- Interoperability of language resources and tools for the needs of multilingual applications in H&SS: models for linking, standards and formats, mapping and linking algorithms, complex processing methods, architectures and platforms.
We invite submissions describing CLARIN related work addressing these aspects. Submissions (for oral presentations, posters, or demos) intended for the thematic session should be marked as such, and will be evaluated with respect to their appropriateness for the theme, in addition to the general acceptance criteria listed below.
The scientific program both of the general sessions and the thematic session will include oral presentations, posters, and demos. There is no difference in quality between oral and poster presentations. Only the appropriateness of the type of communication (more or less interactive) to the content of the paper will be considered.